Saturday, August 12, 2006

worth visiting

Because I still don't have the luxury to travel as much as I want, I only have local (eh, GMA area only) places I must insist you go visit even once in your life.

1) Simple Pleasures - Greenbelt 3 - Must-tries are their Foot Spa (P550 for 1hour) and Back Massage (P375 for 20mins, if I'm not mistaken). Their Foot Spa is the best I've tried (which reminds me, if you read somewhere that you have to try the Foot Spa in a salon called Philosophy, don't go rushing there. Trust me. It's way below par than Simple Pleasures' and it's more expensive too.), I almost fell asleep. My seatmate, who was a complete stranger, kept on saying that it's "Thai na Thai," and I am inclined to believe him because he's based almost 8mos in a year in Thailand. After my foot spa, one of the attendants was kind enough to offer me a 5-min trial of the back massage, which I happily said yes to because my back was killing me that time. After just 5 minutes, all the knots were gone! And the more amazing thing is, it wasn't a full body massage where you have to take your clothes off and all that fuss - they just let me sit backwards in a massage chair (the chair looked like a gym equipment but there's a hole where your face should be - I'm not very good in descriptions, am I?), prod my back, and ta-da, magic! Best to call them up for appointments because they're usually booked solid (7574212 to 13). If you're lucky (or not), you might catch Karylle and DingDong there. Oh, and they also sell unique accessories and clothes.

2) Seryna and Kikufuji - near Don Bosco/Makati Cinema Square - You know those row of Japanese restaurants near Makati Cinema Square? I haven't eaten in all of them, but so far, Seryna and Kikufuji are grrrreaatt! For P250, you get a bowl of soup, a main meal (with side dishes, vegetables, a whole lotta rice, and of course, Japanese delicacies), and dessert. It's authentic Japanese (but I must say, their Tonkatsu is much like Tokyo Tokyo's din, except that their version is more "clean-tasting" if you know what I mean. Must be the Japanese way of cooking.). Try their tamago! It's just like scrambled egg but sweeter, basta. Imelda Marcos usually eats in Kikufuji =)

3) Tony Romas - Alabang/Glorietta - Hands-down, the best baby-back ribs and calamari in town. And their house bread is just so delicious, we usually ask for 2 more loaves (hehe).

4) Getaway Spa - Sct Albano, QC - A good 2-hr travel from my house but worth it! It's cheaper than The Spa, and I am tempted to say that the massages are better (there I said it).

5) Tiendesitas - Pasig - Everything's there! From furnitures to clothes to accessories to house decors to food to pets, you name it, they have it! It's always fun to go there, because unlike in other tiangges where the stalls usually just offer the same old products, Tiendesitas offers a lot of variety at lower prices too. They also have a lot of food stalls - you have to try the bibingka and puto bumbong there (I forgot the name of the stall, but it's just one stall selling these) and avocado shake (with milk). They also have pet shows once in a while. Oh, and they have live bands too during weekends, I think. It's difficult to go there if you're just commuting, but since they're putting up a big SM right beside it, trust Henry Sy to think of ways to get his market to SM (thus, to Tiendesitas too!).

6) Kerastase Institute by ESA - 6750, Makati - More popularly known as ESA Salon. Aside from having very skilled stylists, ESA brags about the ESA Experience. The place is very big, with different areas for treatments, hairstyling, body treatments such as waxing, and hand and foot services. I went there just this afternoon and I can't wait to go back! Although I'd rather keep mum about how much I spent for a clump of hair, it was truly an experience. I spent around 4hours there, but I didn't notice the time. If you're going for a treatment, they're going to analyze your scalp and hair first so you can really see up close in a PC monitor how your scalp and hair look like (pretty scary if you think you have scalp problems, but no worries, the scalp/hair expert there is very very nice), and they'll recommend a treatment that's appropriate for you.

If you're just going for a cut (I, as well dozens of other GirlTalkers, highly-recommend Joey), that's fine too. What I like about them is they don't hard-sell - they'll suggest, sure, but if you say no, they won't push it. And the stylists listen. They won't cut your hair without consulting you, and they'll talk you through it.

In addition, all their attendants (whether it's the one blow-drying your hair or the one overseeing your treatment) give mean massages (I hope you get Jomel and/or Carlo)! They rival even the attendants in Simple Pleasures =) My back doesn't creak (yes, it does that) anymore and all the little bumps (aka lamig) are gone. If you think about it, I managed to save what I would have spent for either a simple back masasge or a full-blown body massage.

They also have to-die-for chairs! For treatments, you have a regular chair plus another chair where you can stretch your legs (I don't know how it's called). And and, if they're going to wash off the treatment already, you get to sit in their Lazy Boys that actually have remote controls (you know the brown chair of Joey in FRIENDS?)! So so so nice!

For appointments, call 8190886.

*sorry for the long narrative.. *

7) Conti's - BF Paranaque - Famous for their Chocolate Cake and Mango Bravo (drool).

8) PowerPlant - Rockwell, Makati - I usually don't shop here because most of their shops are high-end, but I love going here for a) their cinemas - couples' chairs! Plus it's squeaky-clean, b) LifeStyle Section - their independent shops offer unique styles at reasonable prices, and c) Fully-Booked - when I'm tired of Powerbooks' selection.

9) Bo's Coffee Club - Glorietta 4 - When the usual Starbucks Mocha Frappe just won't do, I go for their Chocolate Freeze. The place is a wee bit small, but you can just sip your drink while walking around, right?

10) Red Box - Greenbelt 3 - Need I say more? Plush chairs + probably the widest selection of songs possibly known to mankind! Avail of their 3-7pm package so that it won't break your budget all that much.

11) Mall of Asia - Roxas Blvd - The infamous mall with the P200MM globe in front of it. I am still not sure if it's the biggest mall in Asia (I actually still need a bit more convincing that it's bigger than MegaMall), but it is indeed big! Shops here are bigger than the average. The glass walls! The view of Manila Bay (eek!)! IMAX! Director's Club! Freakin' cold airconditioning though. And what is up with the parking lot and the elevators? But still, Mall of Asia is Mall of Asia. Don't forget to drop by nearby Blue Wave for your food fix!

12) Ruins - BF Paranaque - Not as inviting as Tiendesitas, but it's still a treat to go here. Best known for pirated DVDs (oooopps).

13) Good to Go - Greenbelt walkway - They sell mostly all kinds of chocolate and candy! I managed to grab a dark chocolate version of my favorite Maltesers (the milk chocolate version is way better though), which I had no idea even existed. They also sell Tootsie Roll, which brings back lotsa childhood memories.

14) National Sports Grill and Chili's - Greenbelt/Greenhills - Both restaurants specialize in American food so it's best to go here as a group because their servings are BIG. Try the Chicken Tenders, Prawns, and Nachos in Chili's and Chicken Parmesan, Fries, and Calamari in NSG. They usually have tie-ups with various credit cards so it's advisable to ask your server what promos they currently have.

15) Beauty Bar - Alabang/Greenbelt/Podium/PowerPlant/Baguio - More than a dozen brands are here so you'll surely go out a happy shopper! Try Philosophy's 3-in-1 Body Wash/Shampoo/Conditioner - they're "flavored" (I have Chocolate Chip Cookies!)! Imagine coming out of the shower smelling like Lemon Sherbet, Strawberry Shortcake, Vanilla Ice Cream, Pinacolada, etc! I also love their Earth Therapeutics line.

This is just a prelim list, I'll add more in the future =) Hopefully, I'll get to list down places all over the Philippines and across Asia as well in a year or so =)

8 comments:

k a r e n said...

i'll be sure to check these places out when i go their to visit =)

lil superman's mum said...

Sama ako! Hehe =)

I'll add you in my blog list ha.

lil superman's mum said...

Daym, just tried Simple Pleasures again. Hits the jackpot every single time.

Anonymous said...

hi. your blog popped out when i googled ESA :) anyway, Im also planning to have my hair done there (xtenso relax) anyway. wah. how much usualyy tip dun? sorry clueless ako :( thanks:)

Anonymous said...

sorry for the typo... i like your blog pala:)sorry for snooping

Anonymous said...

hi you can just post your repl here if it's ok ay with you:)

lil superman's mum said...

^ Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Bale kasi, 3 people attended to me: the hairstylist, his assistant and the one who oversaw my treatment. I gave P150 sa hairstylist then P100 each to the 2.

I think it's up to you naman, I just really really liked their service so I gave them P100 each.

Thanks for dropping by! =)

Anonymous said...

thanks:) hehe im planning to have my hair relaxed kasi (xtenso) aun bale un plus loyalty card is around 4100:) okay na din kasi may free haircut plus hair treatment pag may loyalty card ka:) i like your blog pala... great review! hehe.. tama ill give nalang din 100 sa kanila... hmmmm hehe pano kaya dun sa mag rrelax? wah. hehe sorry clueless ko no? :)