Saturday, June 24, 2006

Denims won't do

I heard Mass with my family 3 weeks ago here in our Village. One of the coordinators asked my Dad if someone from our family could read the Prayers of the Faithful and he volunteered either me or my Manang. In the end, I was tasked to do it.

The Mass starts at 7am, so I had to wake up at around 6:15am on a Sunday just so I can go to the chapel early and practice reading my part. My family usually sits at the right side of the chapel, while the "podium" is in the other side. My Mom suggested that I sit with them and just go to the other side when it's my turn.

So off to the other side I went right after the Profession of Faith. When I got to the first pew (where the "readers" supposedly sit), the lector was trying to catch my eye and asking me what I was doing there. So I mouthed "Prayers of the Faithful." Then he looked at me from head to toe and shook his head as if in disgust. Why, you may ask? Okay, backtrack.

The day before Sunday, I asked my Mom if I can wear jeans to the Mass even if I'm going to be reading something. I'm a jeans-and-flip-flops kind of girl, and I like wearing comfortable clothes especially when I have to do something I'm not accustomed to, because it would lessen my nervousness. And I do tend to stutter when I speak in front of a crowd so I was really really nervous. My Mom said she thinks it's okay. So what was I wearing during the Mass? A pique polo, jeans, sandals (with heels).

And that, my friends, is the subject of the lector's disgusted look at me.

Back to the Mass. It was now time for the Prayers of the Faithful. I took a half-step towards the podium, but the lector stayed where he was, and I could tell he was already about to start reading the Prayers. Finally, with a reluctant sigh, he dropped the mic and gave the go-signal to me.

The whole incident probably lasted just around 2-3mins tops, but it seemed like forever. I can still see his disgusted look vividly up till now.

I was embarassed for a lot of reasons - and to think this happened in a place where everyone should feel welcome, where everyone is family, where everyone is treated as equals.

First of all, it was obvious that I just went to the other side of the chapel for the Prayers. After the Prayers, I would have returned to the other side to re-join my family (whether or not the lector agreed to let me read). So if he had continued reading the Prayers, I would have looked stupid. Well, his blatant hesitation to give me the mic was embarassment enough.

Second, what is wrong with what I was wearing?!? No part of my body was showing, except for my lower arms, my toenails, and my face. It was honest-to-goodness decent. Do you have to be dressed to the nines just to read His word? When did serving God become so superficial? Okay, I personally draw the line at uber-mini skirts, backless tops, plunging necklines, shorts, etc (just because it distracts other church-goers, especially the *ahem* boys), but never did it cross my mind that jeans were a no-no. And maybe, just maybe, if I had worn my flip-flops, I would've understood his reaction.

Third, I woke up earlier than usual just so I can do my task "well." Isn't the thought and the effort that went to it enough? Seriously. Would God turn His back on me just because I wasn't wearing a terno or a suit or maybe because my hair wasn't coiffed enough or because I was not wearing lipstick? Do I have to look like I'm dressed for a gala just to serve Him? I honestly thought religious servitude went beyond that.

I am not against people in our chapel who do the Readings who look like they woke up at 5am just to pick the "right" outfit. It just escapes me why somebody who wants to be a bigger part of the celebration is rejected just because he/she's not dressed like a 45-yr-old granddad/grandma.

Oh, the coordinator apologized after the Mass, saying it was her fault because she didn't inform my Dad that jeans were "bawal." The damage was already done, but I appreciated the gesture all the same. But really, bakit bawal? Is it some rule I can find in the Bible? Or even a Papal letter the community isn't aware of?

Hell, she (the coordinator) was also wearing jeans. And she was part of the choir. So maybe she should not be there too?

No comments: