Monday, January 23, 2006

Pacman!

The Pacquiao-Morales slugfest is over and done with, yet the whole country is still at a stand-still and seemingly, has not gotten over how Pacquiao stamped his superiority over Morales.

I only started to be a boxing fan probably 2-3 years ago, when I was already able to look past the blood and the gore and see the talent, hardwork, strategy, and techniques that went to the sport. It also helped that Pacquiao started doing the rounds at the international circuit and reaped accolades left and right. Comparing this fight with the first one, viewers, who even without the "boxing" eye, will see the difference in Pacquiao. His eyes burned with desire, his movement all the more agile and graceful, his fists undeniably more powerful. As many boxing analysts have put it - Manny has become a complete fighter.

It is so heartening to see how everyone dropped what they were doing to rally behind Pacquiao. From Manila to GenSan, you could see people watching his every move, cheering when he connects, feeling for him when Morales lands a punch. Nakakataba talaga ng puso. Even if I'm not, in the least bit, related to Pacquiao or to any of his training buddies and mentors, I feel the love and support of the whole country. A newscaster repeatedly said - He has become one of the few unifying factors here in the Philippines. And a unifying factor we indeed need.

No comments: