Monday, January 14, 2008

5 years from now, I hope.....

-- Backtrack sometime in December ata --

My brother was having several (actually, MANY) friends over from his High School days. They arrived at 10pm (grabe, ganito na ba ka-late mag-party ang mga bata ngayon?? At 4yrs lang ang pagitan namin ha.. Ano na lang ang mangyayari kay Tonette na 11yrs ang gap namin.. No, no, I don't wanna imagine.) and of course, went on a drinking spree, complete with pulutan. We knew his friends, so it was all good. Up until..... they started vomiting all over the place. Craaaaap.

(Well actually, I didn't mind, because I was busy with the computer. More on that later.)

To top it off, my dad and Manang went home at around 12mn (coming from their own respective parties in Makati). And my dad was.... a bit drunk. Of course he wouldn't admit it, but it really is the only explanation for him speaking in straight English and mingling with my brother's friends over at the garage.

My Manang was a bit tired from her own dinner, and she had to endure like an hour-and-a-half worth of continuously repeating questions from my dad (i.e. Nakauwi na ba si Bom? "Opo." after a few minutes Nakauwi na ba si Bom? -- That's the other sure sign he had a drink too many!!), so her patience was running thin. Plus, she had work the next day. But when she heard and saw all the vomiting happening across the house, she really couldn't resist cleaning up after them, trying to control the situation the best she can.. while I was still in front of the computer, oblivious to everything except how verrrry slow our Internet connection was that night (as well as the very audible "TSK TSK" and "HAAAAAY" from my Manang when she goes up and down the stairs).

At one point, I told her to go to bed (this was around 2am). I cannot understand why someone would allow herself to get stressed that much when it's not even her problem to begin with. I mean, I'm sure my brother and his friends would clean up their mess. If not, he'll just have to deal with my mom the morning after - that simple, diba? I don't like meddling in other people's affairs when they don't ask for my help. I was waiting for them to all go safely home, but I had no plans on going downstairs and disrupting their party. They're all of age naman. And as long as they don't do anything extremely stupid and violent in our house, it's all good. Pluuuuus, my Manang gets drunk sometimes too (I'm the only good one in the house, I swear. Hehehehe.), so she should have understood. But anyway, that's not my point..

So the next day, while we were all eating lunch (with my brother still in his bedroom, suffering a hangover), the party came about. And my mom said to me, "Hindi mo ba sila binabaan?" And my surprised reply was "Bakit ko sila bababaan????"

And her hurtful (hahaha, joke lang...) reply was "Wala ka talagang ka-mother-mother instinct."

Crap.

I was not offended at all naman :) I think it pretty much sums me up, in not-so-pleasant-terms nga lang. I care, I really do care. I just don't like meddling, yun lang. If I think you're old enough and if you don't ask for my help, I won't volunteer it. It doesn't mean that I don't care :)

My Manang's like the complete opposite. I'm sick and she'll fuss over me like a mother hen. Naku, ako talaga, hindi ganun.. If you're sick and if I ask you if you need anything or if you're alright, and you'll tell me that you're fine and you don't need anything, I'll leave you alone. I believe in "alone" moments kasi.

So bless me, Lord, I hope I don't make a terrible mom someday huhuhu.

No comments: