Monday, July 23, 2007

poll

Since I'm a sucker for discussions on just about anything, can I ask your opinions whether or not these should be legalized in the Philippines or not?

- Abortion
- Divorce
- Prostitution

My answers are:
- Abortion - No
- Divorce - Yes
- Prostitution - Yes

I have a few moral misgivings about divorce and prostitution, but in general, if my stand is asked right here and now, my answers above would be it.

I am operating on the general premise that everybody acts out of his own accord and that the legalization of something won't necessarily mean the increase in the number of its occurences. If doing any of the 3 mentioned is beyond a person's character, he won't do it - whether it be legal or not. Heck, prostitution is illegal now, but one need only walk along the stretch of Malate or Quezon Ave to realize just how rampant it is.

I'll stop babbling for now and will wait for your answers :)

3 comments:

Jela said...

Well,the thing is, most people feel na, when we can't solve a problem, legalizing it will be the better solution. Like jueteng, or in this case, prostitution. Actually, dun sa 3, I really have no stand whether I want to legalize prostitution or not. Is this for the benefit of the so called "sex worker", or those people who make money out of selling other people's body, or those who patronize their "services"?

Ehem, I think hahaba yung sagot ko! So, siguro to summarize:

Abortion - yes, IN VERY STRICT CASES when it threatens the lives of the mother and the child, but not in any other cases
Divorce - yes
Prostitution - a very partial no

lil superman's mum said...

Yung "yes" ko sa prostitution, it's for the benefit of the sex workers. It doesn't mean I like what they do, but being a part of society, I think they also deserve laws to protect them.

When customers pick up prostitutes, a deal is made that the prostitute is offering her body in exchange for cash. Fair trade, ika nga. Walang ibang taong natatapakan, walang ibang na-d-dyahe. Pero ibang usapan na yun pag napagbuhatan ka na ng kamay ng customer tapos hindi ka makapag-sumbong man lang. Napag-iisipan pa sila na "pinasok mo yan eh, so dapat wala kang reklamo." I find that unfair.

jen said...

ABORTION - no
DIVORCE - yes, but the grounds should really be grave ones because others might abuse this law... marriage should not be entered into with the thought that if it doesn't work out, there's divorce naman...
prostitution - haven't really given this much thought...