We visited Ground Zero yesterday (it's just a block away from our place). I initially thought it would just be one of those tourist spots we're going to visit where we can take lots of pictures. Turns out I was wrong.You feel a certain sense of silent anguish on behalf of everyone in America. And it's been 5 years. I can just imagine how people who actually live right here feel. Suddenly, I somehow understood the intensity of America's fight against terrorism.
The site is anything but happy. Although we're all smiles, reading the timeline of the events that transpired that day was heart-breaking. There were also pictures of US police officers who helped out civilians out of the towers and returned to the building to help more people but died in the process. You just feel for these people even if you haven't met them.

On the right is my favorite picture among all the photos in exhibit. It just cuts across race and color and it's a perfect summary of how we felt like brothers and sisters 5 years ago. It would be great if we could be like that every single day.
I wish everyone would have the chance to visit Ground 0 - it's just an experience like no other. You see the gaping holes and you feel sad and hopeful all at the same time. You think five years ago, people lay dying here, but on the other hand, the lights that surround the site can't mean anything else but new life.

1 comment:
I was there in 2002 and it felt the same as you mentioned. No matter the feeling you have before you go, once you are there you are affected. It seems that no matter when someone goes there are small notes, poems, pics, memorials, all make-shift and set up quickly but that each still has an impact is not deniable...
Post a Comment