I met my friend around 3:45 in the afternoon just outside the Coliseum. We decided to proceed to the court around 4pm so we can see the players of San Miguel and Alaska (not on purpose, believe me) warm up and take some pictures I guess. Yada-yada-yada, Alaska won, yipee for... nobody.
Oh, wait, I cannot believe I almost forgot to tell you where we were seated!! We knew it was near (if you paid P700 for a PBA game, wouldn't you expect the same?), but when the attendant directed us to our seats, we were momentarily stunned. We were SO near. To give you an idea how near, we were on the same row as the courtside commentators, i.e. Quinito Henson, Sev Sarmienta, etc. If I lean over just a bit and extend my arm, I can probably touch the player's ass. Or the referee's. Not that I want to, of course *ehem*. And you know those instances when a player desperately hustles for the ball and ends up on the spectators' side? Let's just say should Marc Pingris have been his usual over-eager self, he would've landed on us.
On to the main event. I was looking forward to the Opening Ceremonies, because they're usually really really cool. The PETA performance was a bit blah, but the fireworks!! There were 4 men dressed in all black, complete with ski masks, who were suspended in the air. They were in the air doing nothing for around 5mins so I completely forgot about them until the fireworks came! Actually, they were the fireworks. The fireworks shot out from small contraptions in their knuckles and toes. It was amazing.Now to the actual game. It was worth every single centavo, never mind that it ruined my budget for the month. I was quite happy when the 1st half ended with my team leading by around 19pts I think? But I half-hoped that Red Bull makes a run in the next half so it wouldn't be a blow-out (read: yawn-worthy). They didn't let me down - they erased Purefoods' lead during the 3rd quarter alone and even led by as much as 6pts in the 4th quarter, but like my dad always says (in reference to Purefoods) "just to die in the end." Nevertheless, I applaud Red Bull for their resiliency and like what my gimmick-mate said in her own blog, I can't help but compare them to Ginebra because of their never-say-die attitude. It makes even non-fans like me appreciate their effort. I mean, hey, if someone is willing to shell out money to watch a "real" game, better make it worth his while, right? Don't just shrivel up and hand the game to the other team in a silver platter.
Needless to say, lumalabas ang pagka-squatters ko when I'm cheering for Purefoods. You name it, I do it. Okay, I don't resort to name-calling, I don't shout obscenities, I don't carry cartolina posters (I am amused by other fans' posters - a poster of a Red Bull fan read "May tama ka!" obviously as a parody to Mrs. James Yap, aka Kris Aquino's, famous line in Game KNB. Others read "Chakang Giants." I only wish I have even a quarter of their creativity =)), I don't dance around to taunt the other team's fans, but everything else, I do. I scream at the referees, I jump up and down, I scream at the opponents, and to be completely honest, I do feel the tiniest itch to do the jig. There was one time in the 4th period that I was so ecstatic, I jumped up and down with my arms raised like so, when suddenly, my semi-chunky bracelet popped right out of my arm and hit my seatmate in the head. Thank God he didn't give me a hard time about it, considering he was already quite old and it probably hurt. The guy who had to pick it up for me was grinning from ear to ear when he handed it to me. I could sense what he was thinking and I know it ain't flattering. But frankly, I don't give a damn.
Some random thoughts on the entire experience:
- Lordy Tugade is one of the most arrogant SOB I've seen in the PBA, strutting like he owns the place. He can wow me with his accurate shooting, but there's no need for all that arrogance. You haven't proven anything yet, mister. And really, the arrogance sometimes overshadows what little talent you have.
- It's nice to see Alvin Patrimonio so involved in the game.
- I seriously loathe majority of the players of Red Bull. Please don't get me started on Topex Robinson! And their so-full-of-himself-Coach. Grr. But I like Cyrus Baguio and Junthy Valenzuela.
- It's different when you watch the game live. Time flashes by just like that. Next thing I knew it was already 11pm and we were shouting to the players not to go to overtime so we can go home already.
- I love looking at pretty and makinis ladies =) Go figure who I'm talking about. Sheesh, I am such a butch.
I had such a blast! And it does help if the one you're watching with knows her basketball and is not just there for the players *ehem, Cyrus!* =) Never mind that we were cheering for different teams. It boggles me to this day why we persist on watching PBA games together when one of us has to lose before the night ends. Love for the sport, I guess? And the sight of toned bodies helps a bit =P
In case you were wondering, yeah, I brought my camera with me but I only have the picture of the fireworks to brag about. Yeah yeah. Nakakahiya sila tawagin eh =(

No comments:
Post a Comment