Sunday, April 30, 2006

American Idol 5: Classic Love Songs Night (Review)

This theme night was good but nothing still beats Standards Night, coached by Rod Stewart. That man is a genius.

1) Elliott - Hottah hottah! And I don't just mean the way he looked but the total performance! Agree with Randy that the arrangement was too complicated; the song could have still stood out sans the messy arrangement. I have a problem with his eyes when it moves around a lot (not in a sweeping-the-audience kind of way), they're very fidgety, esp during the beginning of the song. He should try harder on working the camera and the audience, coz that's the only thing he lacks, I think. Overall, as Simon said, simply superb! Couldn't get any better than that.

2) Chris - Okay, okay, I still hate his smug smiles. But Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman was a great song choice for him because his voice has a raspiness that's so similar to Bryan Adam's. I still don't get a couple of things though: a) why does he always have to have "props" (i.e. 2 guitarists with him), why can't it all be just about the voice?, and b) the tilted head combined with the patented dead stares that relentlessly violate me. But overall, his performance was great.

I was beside myself when David Foster said he was singing from his throat. Right on! He doesn't even know what a diaphragm is for, David.

3) Taylor - See, a person can be as unassuming as Taylor and still elicit a "he's the most charming" comment from someone as great as David Foster. Did you happen to catch that, Katharine and Kellie? Anyway, I thought Just Once was a great choice for him, because if he had chosen a more ballad-y love song, it would have been a disaster. But I was a little bored with his performance.

4) Paris - Didn't wow me tonight as much as last week. I agree with Paula that she oversang.

5) Katharine - First off all, you do not wear bright colors when you have bulges at the sides and at the bra line, especially when you're wearing a slinky dress that just begs for criticisms. The style of the dress was great, but the color was way off for a big-boned girl like you. And what's up with the cleavage?! It wasn't nice to look at, it was very very disturbing. Performance-wise, I think we can sum it up in 1 sentence - "You're nowhere near the talent of Whitney Houston." And it was such a strong and passionate song, why the hell are you smiling?

I'm curious what Katharine's parents think of Kellie? Arguably, Kellie's the worst singer ever but she's Katharine's best friend. And how does Katharine feel that Kellie sucks but she's coasting along just fine week after week?

6) Kellie - O God, the disaster from hell. I applaud the audience for not boo-ing the judges when they were dissing Kellie. But why didn't I hear the words I expected to hear, such as "terrible," "horrific," "disastrous??" It's funny how the judges can sugarcoat their comments when they're for I-butchered-every-song-I-sang-but-I-still-have-the-highest-votes blonde here. Tsk tsk. Way off all throughout the song. Had you been the one singing the song during the pottery scene in Ghost, Patrick Swayze would have smacked Demi Moore's head straight into the molding pot. Or worse, smacked his own face into it just so he can escape the terrible terrible voice that can only come from you.

Is it just me or was David Foster a complete prick? =) But I loved how he was upfront with everybody. Too bad he didn't diss Kellie. That would have made my night.

No comments: